Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An Outlook to GCal solution

So, you get your work invites sent to your exchange account and you want your outlook calendar to update your Google Calendar....what's the simplest thing that could possibly work?

Well, you can take advantage of the new ability for items received in gmail to be automagically entered onto your google calendar- just make a rule to forward all invites to your gmail account, and invite your gmail account to all things that you schedule. I was already adding myself as an invitee to all of the things I put on my Outlook calendar so they would pass on to my Blackberry, now GMail is another invitee. It has been working out swimmingly so far...updates to follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty simple solution. Still I'd rather have some sort of automatic integration with Outlook.

Soon I hope....

Matt McKnight said...

Yes, I agree completely. This is not two way sync by any means. I think the Google Desktop will be the way that this ends up being handled. Although, Google being Google, they may end up with three different ways to do it, each with its own issues...