Friday, July 14, 2006

GIS discussions....

Ogle Earth: A blog about Google Earth. « GIS: What's there to talk about? »

I think the fact that many of people's posts are just kind of newsy contributes to my lack of interest in commenting on their site. There's a certain amount odiscussionon that can happen around facts, but most discussion is about opinions and analysis.

I find discussions where people are just slamming other products/people/companies/technologies particularly tiresome, but there's a lot more respect in the GIS community. For example, while Stefan writes about Google Earth, he doesn't spend a lot time trying to talk down World Wind and Microsoft and ESRI. On the other hand, the most attention I tend to get is when I say something negative about something, like whining about the unnecessary complexities and oversights of GML..

Another aspect is the trackback concept.I wishsh it worked better in Blogger so that I could just add a post to the discussion on my own blog and have the link show up on theirs.Damnmn those spammers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move to wordpress.com, that would give you so much more control.

Matt McKnight said...

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Blogger is easy, but pretty basic.