Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reading is FUNdamental

Fred Wilson declared it video day on his AVC blog.

I didn't watch any of them. With A/V you are really making an investment in watching/listening. With text content, it's so easy to skim, skip the boring bits and figure out if you want to read something in depth. With A/V in the browser, you hit the big play button and then start to stream. You can't even jump ahead easily until you build up your buffer (okay, only takes a second, thanks FIOS!). I've watched and listened to things at high speed (current project indoctrination videos, this means you), and then, you're still listening to this thing. Podcasts are great for the car. Thirty second skip is great for skipping commercials, but can move through text just with a few long saccades.

I guess it comes down to this. I can read faster than I can listen, with the added bonus that I can skim text even faster than I can skim audio content. Thus text is more efficient for communicating a lot of information. I won't dispute that A/V content is richer, and can create more of a connection, but I just don't have time for all of that. I have to write blog posts for other people to skim.

0 comments: