Thursday, October 13, 2005

You don't complete me.

Setting up a Rails Development Environment on Windows Using Eclipse
Heading says it all really. I have to say that code completion for non statically typed languages is something that I am seriously missing. Having first tasted its lazy goodness in Visual Studio, I was aching for it to be supported in Java forever. Now, I have to wait again for Ruby. I have heard rumor of code completion in JavaScript. I haven't tried that yet, but I can't exactly imagine how it's going to work.

I think the best thing about code completion is not that it obviates the need to memorize tons of stuff, is that it reminds you of methods that exist on objects that you may have forgotten about. Maybe there is some kind of inbetween thing so that I can at least specify what type of object I want to be dealing with and get all of the methods and properties presented to me for easy clicking. Maybe I should be working on this...maybe not.

0 comments: