Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Secondary Actions in Web Forms


Just checked out this interesting article from LukeW on secondary actions on web forms. The sum of it is that people don't complete forms faster when you make distinctions between primary (submit) and secondary (cancel) buttons. Still, as Luke points out- hitting cancel after filling in a long form really is not good. Do you really need a button for that in all cases?

I really enjoy the data driven approach of using eye tracking data to help make decisions on form elements. Unfortunately he missed my current preferred option: Bolder font-weight on the text on the primary action button, lighter or normal font-weight on the secondary actions. Since we have CSS classes for those button types on my project, I was all ready to make some changes...looks like I won't be making any, but it's still worth the quick read.

0 comments: