Saturday, June 20, 2020

Text as Design

I am not opposed to Design. I do think there are a lot of advantages to text as opposed to image heavy design, but I see both sides of both sides. There was a trend for a couple of years to have website home pages be huge, highly detailed, saturated images, or even video. The idea there seemed to be create this feeling of lushness or richness. This has obvious costs- bandwidth, latency, etc., but there is also something decadent about it. We have all of this bandwidth, let's use it. A picture is worth a thousand words. However, these are fleeting feelings that leave me empty. I need the words to create a rational idea out of the picture.

I need the command line.

I love the episode of the Netflix series on design "Abstact" that featured Paula Scher. https://www.netflix.com/watch/80093802?trackId=14277283 There is a lot you can do with typography. I do see evidence that people are coming back to text favored design.  https://cheapskatesguide.org/articles/beauty-of-text.html.

I am sick of fighting over which icon to use on a toolbar when a word would do-- although this does bring another battle. Which word? Which language? We live in a world where we fight over words. Do symbols let us agree to disagree? Do they let us put our own interpretations into those symbols, while disagreeing under the surface about what they mean?

I kinda want to switch from using blogger to get more fonts.

blog comments powered by Disqus